Attributed to George Oakley
A Regency rosewood and brass inlaid chiffonier. The rectangular top shelf with pierced brass gallery above a mirror back with twin gilt bronze supports. The base with two mahogany lined frieze drawers above a pair of replaced silk pleated panelled doors, enclosing an interior with adjustable shelves, flanked by tapering columns and standing on four gilt bronze claw feet. The mirror plate replaced. The attribution to Oakley is based on his documented work for J.H.Leigh of Stoneleigh Abbey, Warwickshire, including side cabinets sharing the use of tapering columns with wide brass lines and the identical form of gallery and gilt claw feet (vide Christies, April 2009,2006).
Circa 1815, English