A gong adapted from Armstrong Whitworth WWI era artillery shell cases and was presented by Queen Mary in 1950.
With bamboo and woven leather beater.
The oak base is mounted with a brass engraved "Presented to Huntly HM Queen Mary 24th May 1950"
The reverse is marked: ARMSTRONG WHITWORTH & CO Ltd
The central shell is marked EOC III (EOC is the mark of the Elswick Ordnance Co)
Elswick Ordnance Works was a company owned by Armstrong Whitworth. The ordnance and ammunition it manufactured for the British Government were stamped EOC, while guns made for export were usually marked "W.G. Armstrong".